Helping More Community College Students Succeed
Achieving the Dream: Community Colleges Count is a national initiative to help more community college students — particularly low-income students and students of color — succeed. The initiative works on multiple fronts — including efforts on campuses and in research, public engagement and public policy — and emphasizes the use of data to drive change.
Strategies identified to help more students continue their studies and earn certificates and degrees include:
- Helping students better prepare for college-level work by focusing on precollege (remedial/developmental) education.
- Engaging students in the classroom through new instructional techniques that include team learning and combined subjects to make learning more relevant to students’ lives.
- Using student success courses to teach skills such as time management and effective study skills.
Funding for Achieving the Dream
College Spark Washington continues to fund this initiative in Washington state.
A collaboration of foundations supports Achieving the Dream nationally, including Lumina Foundation for Education, Education Assistance Foundation, Heinz Endowments, Houston Endowment Inc., Knowledge Works Foundation, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Nellie Mae Education Foundation.
Participating Washington State Colleges
- Bellingham Technical College
- Big Bend Community College
- Clover Park Technical College
- Edmonds Community College
- Everett Community College
- Grays Harbor College
- Green River College
- Highline College
- Lower Columbia College
- Pierce College
- Renton Technical College
- Seattle Central College
- Skagit Valley College
- Spokane Falls Community College
- Tacoma Community College
- Whatcom Community College
- Walla Walla Community College
- Yakima Valley College
Last Modified: 12/19/16 11:19 AM