- Schedule and arrange appointments, conference calls and meetings. Respond to incoming calls and emails, screen and prioritize emails and requests.
- Coordinate travel arrangements to include hotel reservations, flights, and car rentals; complete registrations, reimbursements, and other related paperwork.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, presentations and other printed materials according to department standards; edit materials for accuracy, readability, and appearance. Perform complex word processing tasks such as merging and sorting, integrating text with graphics, spreadsheet and data base files; prepare spreadsheets involving the development of formulas. Monitor and report progress of projects and activities to meet deadlines.
- Under general direction, plan, organize and prioritize work to ensure work unit and/or office goals are met. Establish and maintain electronic and paper records and file systems. Prepare and copy materials for reports, conferences, and retreats. Order supplies and equipment as needed. Complete projects as requested by agency staff.
- Answer phones, greet and assist visitors, respond to requests for information, initiate and respond to emails.
- Perform other related work as required.
- A high school diploma or general education equivalent (GED).
- Two years increasingly responsible secretarial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and perform multiple tasks with conflicting timelines.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft suite software such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
This is a full-time, classified position. The annual compensation for this position is listed above. The salary for this position is based on the Non-Represented General Service Salary Schedule.
Washington state has a generous benefit package including health, dental, life insurance, long-term disability, retirement, and two optional deferred compensation programs. For more information, see Classified Employee Benefits.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities and reports to the assistant to the deputy executive director of education.
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
- Letter of formal application that addresses your interest in the position and ability to perform the responsibilities described in this announcement;
- Detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the qualifications;
- List of at least three professional references with contact information. References are typically contacted after interviews.
Send application materials
Email is preferred, but you may send application materials by one of the following delivery methods:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 360-704-4415
- Mail: Pamela Kelly, HRC
SBCTC Human Resource Office
PO Box 42495
Olympia, WA 98504-2495
- Make sure you clearly indicate the position you are applying for in your letter of interest and within your email and/or subject line. Suggested subject line format: Last name, First name – Position Title.
- Include your name, address, current phone number, and email on the first page of each document you submit.
After you submit your application packet, you will receive a confirmation email and a request to complete and return the following forms:
- Affirmative Action Profile (voluntary) – Kept separate from your application packet and used to prepare the agency's annual affirmative action report.
- Employment Reference Release – References are typically contacted after interviews.
Do not include the Affirmative Action Profile or Employment Reference Release in your application packet. If you do not receive an email including these forms after you submit your application, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitted applications become the property of SBCTC and will not be returned.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
The State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) supports Executive Order 13-01 Veterans Transition Support and is an equal opportunity employer. SBCTC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Applicants needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-704-4301. A TDD relay service is available by dialing 800-833-6388 or voice 800-833-6384.
Your paycheck is just part of your total compensation. As an exempt employee, you will also have access to an outstanding employee benefits package worth about 30 percent of your salary.
Life in Olympia
Find out more about living and working in Olympia.
Discover the benefits and recreational opportunities available to you throughout Washington state.
Last Modified: 2/28/18 10:50 AM