These resources are for student services practitioners and those who assist students in meeting basic needs in continuing to serve their students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Particular focus is on adapting student services to a primarily online environment, ensuring that students are effectively and equitably served, and responding to the challenges our students face in meeting basic needs and continuing to pursue their education in our community and technical colleges. Also included are resources for dual enrollment practitioners across educational sectors; high school, community college, and 4-year institutions.
Director of Student Services
Workforce Student Support Programs
Advising and Counseling
Resources for conducting advising and counseling activities with technology in a remote instruction and student services environment, including guidance from national advising organizations.
- Technology in the Advising Community- NACADA's article helps academic advisors, faculty advisors, and advising administrators understand the impact of using technologies in advising.
- NACADA Academic Advising Resources
- NAMI Updates on Coronavirus
- Canvas for Advising
Answers to frequently asked questions about student financial aid, including federal aid, CARES Act student aid, and state financial aid. This also includes resources to help students and their families meet basic needs for food, housing, childcare, and other needs.
Financial Resources for Students
- Washington Connection - Find resources regarding food, childcare, long-term care, health insurance, and more in Washington State.
- HOPE Center Guide to Supporting Students During Covid-19
- Federal Aid Announcements
- What the Coronavirus Means for Student Aid
Resources for College Personnel and Student Support Programs
Resources for maintaining accessibility and accommodating disabilities in online instruction and student services.
- Bellingham Technical College's Accessibility Resources, an example of accessibility resource support pages.
Online Teaching and Web Accessibility
- Creating Accessible Online Classes A collection of best practices, tools, and resources that will help ensure you create accessible content for your students. Created through a partnership of SBCTC and Disability Support Services Council.
- Mapping Access- Accessibility in the Time of Covid-19
- Accessible Color Schemes
- W3C Web Content Accessibility
Guidance on Running Start, College in the High School and other dual enrollment programs, including specific guidance for program continuation in a remote instruction environment at the colleges and closure of high school buildings during Stay Home-Stay Healthy and related Executive Orders.
- NACEP Coronavirus Guidance and Resources- National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships gathered content on COVID-19 response from around the nation broken down by state.
- Hope Center Guide to Caring Enrollment Management- deals with both communication strategies and specific supports to share with students concerning enrollment management and financial aid practices.
FERPA and privacy information relevant to the remote learning and student services environment in the COVID-19 environment.
- Department of Education- FERPA during COVID-19- An official document from the Department of Education that deals primarily with rules regarding the sharing of a student’s personally identifiable information to address the public health concern of COVID 19.
- Protecting Privacy While Using Online Services- A 2014 document distributed by the Privacy Technical Assistance Center about student privacy online. It is geared mostly toward K12 educators and districts, but does touch on some issues of FERPA.
Last Modified: 6/5/20 12:44 PM