Skip to content

Residency - Foreign Nationals

Resident Category

This category is for certain foreign nationals, their spouses and children.

The residency classifications are mandatory and colleges must charge resident tuition rates for students meeting the residency requirements.

Fee Pay Status: 01

Expand All

This residency classification is available for:

  • Foreign nationals who have lived in Washington, primarily for purposes other than postsecondary education, for at least one year and hold either an E-3, H-1, or L visa.
  • The spouse or child of a person holding an E-3, H-1, or L visa also qualifies as a resident student if the spouse or child holds lawful non-immigrant status.
  • Persons who hold or have previously held such lawful non-immigrant status pursuant to an E-3, H-1, or L visa and who have filed an application for a green card are also included in this definition of resident student.

RCW 28B.15.012(2)(f) — Classification as resident or nonresident student — Definitions.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 1/30/24, 3:55 PM

starburst graphic