Skip to content

Financial Aid Programs

What kind of programs are out there to help you pay for college?

Washington College Grant

It's not too good to be true: The Washington College Grant is a state financial aid program that gives more money to more students for more kinds of education after high school. From welding to nursing, from English to computer science — whether a one-year certificate, a four-year degree or an apprenticeship — the Washington College Grant can help students of all ages achieve their goals. Grants are available to full-time and part-time students alike, and are available to individuals and a wide range of family sizes and incomes.

Find out how much you could qualify for with the Washington Student Achievement Council's financial aid calculator.

Ability to Benefit

If you don't have a high school diploma, you can still get federal financial aid. Under a program called Ability to Benefit, you can get financial aid if you:

Find out more by contacting the financial aid office at your college of choice.

Early Achievers Grant

The Early Achievers Grant helps employed child care providers and early learning educators complete certificates and associate degrees in early childhood education.

Workforce Transitions Support

If you are unemployed, under-employed or at risk of losing your job because of outdated skills, you might qualify for financial support and employment services to move into a high-demand job.

Basic Food and Education Training Program (BFET)

The Basic Food and Education Training program (BFET) is available to students who receive basic food assistance (sometimes referred to as "food stamps") but are not receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

Opportunity Grant

The Opportunity Grant program helps low-income students complete at least one year of college and a certificate in a high-wage, high-demand career. Eligible students may receive funds to cover tuition and mandatory fees for 45 credits and up to $1,000 for books and supplies.


The WorkFirst program provides employment and training related services to students who receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).

Worker Retraining

Worker Retraining is available to students who receive or have exhausted unemployment benefits, are displaced homemakers, veterans or formerly self-employed.

Washington State Financial Aid Programs

Get matched with potential scholarship opportunities with all for free. It's spam-free and will never sell your information.

You can also check out the Washington Student Achievement Council for a list of Washington state's financial aid programs.

College Bound Scholarship

Are you a high school senior and signed up for the College Bound Scholarship when you were in 7th or 8th grade, or are you a foster youth in grades 7-12 and haven't graduated from high school yet? 

Sign up for Otterbot — a free service to help you apply for financial aid. Just text "Hi Otter" to 360-928-7281.


If you have questions about financial aid, call the financial aid office at the college of your choice.

You can also contact Student Financial Assistance at the Washington Student Achievement Council at or 888-535-0747.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 3/14/24, 11:11 AM

starburst graphic