Skip to content

Resources to Initiate Successful Employment (RISE) for Students

Employment and Training for Students Who Receive Food Assistance

Are you receiving Basic Food Assistance? The Resources to Initiate Successful Employment (RISE) program may be able to help you get the training you need for a better-paying job and economic security.

RISE may be able to provide help maintaining your Basic Food Assistance, as well as a chance to attend a Washington state community college career training program; upgrade your basic reading, writing and math skills; or improve your English language skills.


You may qualify if:

  • You receive — or are eligible to receive —food assistance, which in Washington state is called Basic Food. Some people refer to it by the general name "food stamps."
  • You are not receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). People who receive TANF get training through a different program called WorkFirst.
  • You meet at least one of the following criteria: homeless, a veteran, have limited English proficiency, a non-custodial parent who is in arrears, or have been unemployed for 12 or more consecutive months.
  • You live in one of the following counties: King County, Pierce County, Spokane County or Yakima County.


Services vary depending on the college you attend. You may receive: 

  • Personal assessment and career planning.
  • Tuition assistance applied to a vocational certificate or non-transfer associate degree.
  • Adult education for foundational skills in reading, writing and math.
  • GED® preparation and English language instruction.
  • High School 21+, a new high school completion program for students over age 21.
  • Comprehensive case management.
  • Work-based learning opportunity.
  • Strategies for Success – an instructor-led curriculum focusing on work concepts, health and well-being, communication, building personal strengths and community engagement.
  • Support services for childcare, housing, transportation, clothing, supplies and other job-related expenses.

Get Started

To get started, contact the BFET coordinator at one of the following colleges:

  • Highline College, Des Moines near Kent and Tukwila
  • North Seattle College, near Northgate in Seattle
  • South Seattle College, West Seattle


Unemployed, under-employed or at risk of losing your job?

You might qualify for financial support and training to move into a high-demand job through one of our Workforce Transition Support programs.

The Right Degree for You

Our colleges offer certificates and degrees, with instruction in class and online. Find the right degree for you.

Just exploring or undecided?  We have tools to help.


If you have questions about financial aid, call the financial aid office at the college of your choice.

You can also contact Student Financial Assistance at the Washington Student Achievement Council at or 888-535-0747.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 12/28/23, 12:57 PM

starburst graphic