Skip to content

Worker Retraining Program

Retrain for a New Job or Career

Are you unemployed? The Worker Retraining Program can help you retrain for a new job or career.


You could be eligible for Worker Retraining support for any of the following reasons:

  • Receiving—or eligible to receive—unemployment benefits.
  • Have exhausted unemployment benefits within the past four years.
  • Formerly self-employed and currently unemployed due to general economic conditions.
  • Unemployed veteran discharged within the past four years.
  • Unemployed or underemployed after having been dependent on another family member’s income, but no longer supported by that income due to separation, divorce, death, or permanent disability of the main wage-earner.
  • A vulnerable worker (at risk of being unemployed) who meets two of the following three requirements:
    • Your job is not in demand. (See the Local Area Demand/Decline Occupations list.)
    • You do not have 45 college credits.
    • You must upgrade your skills to remain employed in your current job.


  • Tuition assistance, books, and fees for those who qualify.
  • Educational advising and planning.
  • Job search assistance.
  • Assistance in locating additional funding for training.
  • Liaison to other agencies, programs and fund sources.
  • Assistance with forms such as Employment Security Commissioner Approved Training (CAT) and Training Benefits (TB) applications, Workforce Investment Act/Dislocated Worker, and Trade Adjustment Act.

The Worker Retraining Program applies only to basic skills courses or professional-technical programs. Check with your local college to find out which programs are currently eligible.

Get Started

Each college offers Worker Retraining Orientation sessions in group or individual settings. Contact your college's Worker Retraining Program coordinator

Selected private and career schools and colleges may award Worker Retraining funds to eligible students. Contact participating programs here.

Start Next Quarter

Find out whether you qualify for worker retraining funds at Start Next Quarter. If your college is not on the list, contact the college directly.


If you have questions about financial aid, call the financial aid office at the college of your choice.

You can also contact Student Financial Assistance at the Washington Student Achievement Council at or 888-535-0747.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 4/17/24, 3:49 PM

starburst graphic