Skip to content

WorkFirst Program

Employment and Training for Students Who Receive TANF

Are you in receiving temporary cash and medical help through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program? If so, participating in the WorkFirst program can help you find and keep a job.

The WorkFirst program coordinator at your community or technical college can work with your Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) case manager so that you can get WorkFirst credit while you train for a career. College staff will help you choose a program that's right for you.

WorkFirst can help you pay for tuition and books and, as a WorkFirst participant, you may also qualify for child care and other WorkFirst benefits through DSHS.

You may qualify if:

  • You are a parent who receives TANF.
  • You participate in the WorkFirst program.

Get Started

Tell your case manager at DSHS you want to pursue your career education at your local community or technical college. If you are you a custodial parent who doesn't receive TANF, contact DSHS to see if WorkFirst can help you pursue your career goals.

Apply for TANF

To apply for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program (TANF), you need to go through the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). You can apply for TANF online or at your local DSHS office.

Start Next Quarter

Find out whether you qualify for WorkFirst at Start Next Quarter. If your college is not on the list, contact the college directly.


If you have questions about financial aid, call the financial aid office at the college of your choice.

You can also contact Student Financial Assistance at the Washington Student Achievement Council at or 888-535-0747.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 7/9/24, 12:10 PM

starburst graphic