Policies Turn Board Goals Into Action
The State Board for Community and Technical Colleges’ goals for 2016–17 seek to raise educational attainment, open more doors to college education — particularly for Washington’s fast-growing adult population — and build upon our tradition of excellence. To turn those goals into action, the State Board has adopted the following policy focus areas.
- Goal: Review and update Mission Study goals to align with statewide attainment goals and
the state’s education and job skills needs.
Measure of Success: development of relevant data supporting our role and contribution to Washington state’s economy.
- Goal: Adopt a system-wide approach to partner on how to increase faculty and staff salaries
and to assess and identify an optimal faculty mix.
Measure of Success: accord ongoing to the Legislature in 2015, with a goal of increasing salaries and seeking funding for converting part-time faculty positions to full-time.
- Goal: Increase communication and partnerships across the community and technical college
system including faculty, students, and staff, business, labor, K-12, four-year institutions
and other stakeholders to further the goals and mission.
Measure of Success: stakeholder participation in board meetings and the development of: a) legislative agenda and budget proposals; b) communication plans; and c) decisions on policy initiatives impacting colleges.
- Goal: Export our system’s best practices in a national context to understand and advance
the national dialogue on community and technical colleges.
Measure of Success = more recognition of our great programs.
- Goal: Advocate for adequate state funding and minimize tuition increases for students.
Measure of Success: increased funding resulting in no need for tuition increases.
- Goal: Adopt an allocation model that increases student success and ensures access to low-income,
basic education, English language, and academic and job skills students.
Measure of Success: allocation model implemented by the 2016 academic year.
- Goal: Align curriculum to support successful student transitions from high school to higher
education without remediation.
Measure of Success: agreement on using the Smarter Balanced Assessment for college placement.
- Goal: Apply best practices learned from developing and implementing the system’s aerospace
training programs to healthcare and other industries.
Measure of Success: legislative support and funding for development and implementation of programs similar to the aerospace program.
Last Modified: 4/26/18 1:38 PM