Engrossed Substitute House Bill 1355
ESHB 1355, passed in the 2019 legislative session, resulted in the creation of a task force focused on counselors in the Washington community and technical college (CTC) system. This task force is made up of legislators, CTC counselors, CTC Presidents and Vice Presidents, a CTC student, and a member of the State Board.
This task force will examine four topics according to the bill:
- Minimum standards required for counselors
- Best practices for counseling services in the community and technical college system
- Staffing ratios of counselors and students
- Whether legislation is needed to address the issues outlined in this subsection
They will submit findings and recommendations to the legislature by November 1st 2020. Their findings must include data on each community and technical college's student-to-counselor ratio. To accomplish this, they will meet periodically until November of 2020. Please view up coming meetings on the right hand side of the page to find out when and where the task force will next meet. For more information please contact Joe Holliday or Lexi Swanson.
Task Force for Community and Technical Counselors
- ESHB 1355 bill text
- Colleges Struggle with Soaring Student Demand for Counseling (ABC news)
- SSB6514 Final Report (Forefront Suicide Prevention)
- Counseling Service Delivery Models
- WA CTC Counselor Data 2017
Last Modified: 12/11/19 11:18 AM