Skip to content

Basic Education for Adults

Learn Skills for a Better Life

Do you want to improve your math, reading, writing and employability skills? Learn English? Get a high school diploma or GED®? Our Basic Education for Adults classes and programs including I-BEST will help you transition into college or a career.


  • Adults who are at least 16 years old.
  • Students under 19 must be formally released from high school before enrolling.


Programs and Services

Expand All

Basic Education for Adults programs will help you improve your reading, writing and math skills so you have a strong foundation for college or a career. Generally, these programs are for students who have skills that are below the level of a high school graduate. To get started, contact the adult basic education coordinator at the college of your choice. 

I-BEST programs offer a team-teaching approach, providing students with twice the support at no extra cost. With I-BEST, you will work with two teachers in the classroom. One teacher will provide job training or teach an academic transfer class like welding or sociology. The other will teach basic skills in reading, writing, math, English language or employability. You'll learn several topics at once, earn college credits and move faster toward your career or education goals.

To get started, search our database of current I-BEST programs in Washington state. 

For more information on I-BEST, please contact William Durden at or 360-704-4368.

English as a second language (ESL) classes are for adults who want to improve their reading, writing, speaking, math, listening or employability skills in English. 

Many colleges and community-based organizations offer a program called Integrated Digital English Acceleration, or I-DEA. With I-DEA, you will learn English and college and career skills, all in the same class. Every student receives a computer and internet access.

To get started, contact the adult basic education coordinator at the college of your choice. 

It's never too late to get your high school diploma! At community and technical colleges, you can take classes to obtain a high school diploma recognized by the state of Washington.

Community and technical colleges offer low-cost GED® classes to help you prepare for all four of the official GED® tests.



GED® and GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education ("ACE"). They may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of ACE or GED Testing Service. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license from the American Council on Education.

CASAS Assessment

All students entering Basic Education for Adult classes take the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) so they can be placed in the right level of classes. The information on these tests relate directly to everyday reading and math skills.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 4/5/24, 3:07 PM

starburst graphic