This optional waiver is for state employees. "State employee" includes permanent classified employees, higher education employees, teachers and K-12 classified staff.
Fee pay status: 51
Community and technical colleges may waive tuition (operating and building fees) and services and activities fees for state employees and teachers and K-12 classified staff as listed below:
- Permanent employees in classified service under RCW 41.56 (State Civil Service Law).
- Permanent employees governed by RCW 41.56 (Public Employees Collective Bargaining)
- Permanent employees and exempt paraprofessional employees of technical colleges.
- Faculty, counselors, librarians and exempt professional/administrative employees at institutions of higher education.
- Teachers and other certificated instructional staff at public common and vocational schools holding or seeking a valid endorsement and assignment in a state-identified shortage area.
- Classified staff employed at K-12 public schools, when the employee is taking courses relevant to their work assignment.
Students shall be enrolled on a space-available basis. Students shall be charged a registration fee of not less than five dollars. Community colleges may give preference to employees of their college before considering waivers for eligible persons not employed by the college.
If a college participates in this waiver, it shall include all eligible state employees in the pool of those eligible to participate in the program with equal treatment between those employed full-time and half-time or more.
These students are not to be included in state enrollment counting.
NEW IN 2016: Effective June 2016, K-12 classified staff are added to the list of those eligible for this waiver.
Last Modified: 4/21/17 2:58 PM