Skip to content

Dual Credit Programs

Earn College Credits in High School

Get a jump-start on college and save money by enrolling in a dual-credit program. Dual-credit programs allow high school students to earn both high school and college credits in the same course, at the same time.

Expand All

Running Start is a statewide partnership between community and technical colleges and local high schools. The program allows high school juniors and seniors to attend the college tuition-free and have the credits count for both high school and college credit. College credits are paid for by the high school, saving families money as students begin their college careers. 

  • Tuition free. Students pay for other related costs (books, class-based fees and transportation).
  • Located at the college.

Contact your local college Running Start coordinator to learn more.

CTE Dual Credit allows high school students to earn college credit in their high school career and technical education (CTE) classes without leaving their high school campus. CTE Dual Credit used to be called Tech Prep.

Contact your high school to find out which classes qualify for CTE Dual Credit.

College in the High School programs provide college-level academic courses to 10th, 11th and 12th grade students. Courses are taught at the high school, by high school teachers, with college curriculum, college textbooks, and oversight by college faculty and staff. 

  • Students pay fees, but typically far less that regular college tuition.
  • Students may also pay for textbooks.
  • Located at the high school.

Contact your high school to find out which College in the High School classes are offered.

Most colleges award college credit for students who achieve certain scores on the Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. 

  • Students pay exam fees.
  • Located at the high school.

Every college has its own policy for awarding or transferring in credits and coursework.

Contact your local college admissions or advising office to learn more about AP and IB credits. Look for topics like: transfer in credits, records evaluation, credit review, transcript review, transferring in coursework.

Are You a College Staff Member?

If you work for a college and need more information, visit these links:






Page Manager:
Last Modified: 2/15/18 2:57 PM

starburst graphic